Apply For Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP) is a public university located in Indiana, Pennsylvania. With over 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students, IUP offers over 140 undergraduate degree programs and more than 50 graduate programs across its five academic colleges – Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Fine Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Education and Communications, and Health and Human Services.
Recent Released: Tips for Study for United States Naval Academy Exams
Applying to IUP can seem like a daunting process, but breaking it down step-by-step makes it much more manageable. This comprehensive guide will walk you through everything you need to know to successfully apply for admission to IUP as an undergraduate or graduate student. We’ll cover creating an admissions profile, completing the application, submitting additional requirements, understanding program-specific requirements, checking your application status, and finally receiving an admissions decision. Follow along and you’ll be ready to apply to IUP in no time!
Step 1: Create an Admissions Profile
The first step in applying to IUP is creating an admissions profile on their website (www.iup.edu/admissions). This profile will allow you to access the online application and upload supplementary application materials.
To create your profile:
- Go to the IUP Office of Admissions website and click “Apply Now”
- Select your desired entry term (Fall, Spring, or Summer) and your planned degree level (undergraduate or graduate)
- Provide your full legal name, date of birth, email address, and create a password
- Read through and electronically sign the Matriculation Agreement
- Verify your cell phone number through text message
Once your profile is created, you’ll gain access to the MyIUP applicant portal. This is where you’ll be able to complete your application, track your application status, and communicate with admissions staff.
Step 2: Complete the Online Application
With your admissions profile set up, you can now complete the IUP online application through the MyIUP portal. There is a $50 nonrefundable application fee that allows you to access and submit the full application.
As part of the application, you’ll need to provide:
- Biographical information
- Contact information
- Education history
- Test score information (if applicable)
- Activities, honors, and employment information
- Goal statement describing your academic and career goals
- Recommendation letters (guidelines covered later)
Double check that all information you provide is accurate before submitting. Once submitted, changes to application information can only be made by contacting the Office of Admissions.
Step 3: Submit Additional Required Materials
Along with the online application, there are additional required materials that must be submitted, either by upload to your MyIUP account or by mail:
For undergraduate applicants:
- Official high school transcript showing GPA and graduation date
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended (if transfer student)
- SAT or ACT scores (optional if 25+ college credits earned)
Letters of recommendation
For graduate applicants:
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- GRE or GMAT test scores (varies by program)
- Letters of recommendation
- Resume or CV
- Goal statement
Materials can be uploaded directly on the MyIUP website. Any materials sent by mail should be directed to:
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Office of Admissions
201 Sutton Hall, 1011 South Drive
Indiana, PA 15705
Be sure to submit all components of your application by the priority deadline for your desired semester. Late or incomplete applications may not be considered.
Step 4: Review Program-Specific Requirements
While the general IUP application process is the same for all students, some undergraduate majors and graduate programs have additional program-specific requirements that must also be completed.
For example, the Music Education major requires an on-campus audition, while Occupational Therapy and Psychology PhD applicants must submit their GRE subject test scores.
Carefully review the website of your intended IUP program to see if you have any additional items to complete before submitting your full application. This will ensure your application is as strong and complete as possible.
Step 5: Check Your Application Status
Once you have hit submit on the online application and have a confirmation page, your application will enter the review process.
You can check your application status at any time by logging into the MyIUP portal. This will allow you to see if any items are still needed for your application to be considered complete.
If documents are still needed or are incomplete, it will provide instructions on how to submit them. If your application status reads complete, then you have successfully submitted all required components.
Step 6: Receive an Admissions Decision
After you have submitted a complete application with all required documents, your application file will be reviewed by the coordinator of the academic program you applied to.
The application review process typically takes 2-4 weeks after submission of a complete application. Some programs with later deadlines may take longer.
Once a decision has been made, you will receive an email and official mailed letter notifying you of your admissions decision. The decision letter will indicate whether you have been accepted, placed on a waiting list, or declined admission.
If accepted, it will provide details on deposits, orientation, class registration, housing, and other next steps to enroll.
Tips for Applying to IUP
Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind as you apply to increase your chances of acceptance:
- Apply early – IUP reviews applications on a rolling basis, so earlier applications have a higher chance of acceptance. Priority deadlines are November 1 for Spring and March 1 for Fall.
- Take care with your essay – The goal statement is a crucial part of your application. Be sure to follow prompts carefully and proofread for errors.
- Request recommendations early – Give at least 2-3 weeks’ notice to your recommenders and provide any forms or guidelines.
- Follow up on documents – Confirm with schools and test companies that your official transcripts and scores have been sent.
- Thoroughly complete the application – Carefully fill out each section and double check for accuracy before submitting.
- Contact admissions with questions – The IUP admissions office is available to help if you have any questions!
Application Timeline for IUP
Here is a sample timeline to follow for applying to IUP:
- August – October (Spring semester start)
- Research majors and graduate programs
- Take any required standardized tests
- Request letters of recommendation
- Draft goal statement
- September (Spring semester start)
- Create your MyIUP admissions profile
- Begin working on online application
- October (Spring semester start)
- Submit complete online application by November 1 deadline
- Send additional required materials
- November – December
- Continue submitting any missing application items
- Follow up with admissions on application status
- December – January
- Receive admissions decision by email and mail
- Accept offer and submit deposits to secure enrollment
- March (Fall semester start)
- Submit complete application by March 1 deadline
- May – August
- Receive admissions decision
- Accept offer and submit deposits
- Complete orientation and register for classes
Applying to college can be complicated, but breaking the application process down step-by-step makes submitting a polished, complete application achievable. With an early start and careful attention to detail, any motivated student can successfully apply to IUP.
The key is to give yourself plenty of time, be organized with required documents, follow all instructions closely, and don’t hesitate to contact admissions with any questions. By thoroughly completing each component of the application, you’ll maximize your chances of acceptance and be on your way to joining the IUP community!
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Admissions. https://www.iup.edu/admissions/
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania. How to Apply. https://www.iup.edu/admissions/undergraduate/apply/
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Freshman. https://www.iup.edu/admissions/undergraduate/freshman/
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Graduate Admissions. https://www.iup.edu/admissions/graduate/
Table 1: IUP Undergraduate and Graduate Application Deadlines
|Semester||Freshman Deadline||Transfer Deadline||Graduate Deadline|
|Fall||March 1||August 1||August 1|
|Spring||November 1||December 1||December 1|
|Summer||May 1||May 1||April 15|