The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship Doctoral is one of the most prestigious scholarships in Canada aimed at supporting doctoral candidates engaged in research related to human rights, responsible citizenship, Canada’s role in the world, and people and their natural environment. This scholarship provides up to $60,000 over three years along with access to leadership training, mentors and a community of fellows. Here’s a detailed guide on eligibility, application process, selection criteria and other key details about this amazing scholarship opportunity.
Recent Released: How to Apply for Admission to Marywood University for Fall 2024
The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship program funds and supports promising Canadian and foreign Ph.D. candidates pursuing research related to human rights and dignity, responsible citizenship, Canada’s role in the world, and human interactions with nature.
Up to 15 scholarships are awarded each year, providing $40,000 per year for three years along with leadership training, mentorship, and membership in a network of Trudeau scholars and fellows. Since its inception in 2001, the foundation has named over 200 Trudeau scholars.
The scholarship aims to support the development of critical thinkers who can address challenging social issues creatively and responsibly. By supporting leading doctoral students, the foundation hopes to nourish independent and original minds that will envision and build better societies.
The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation scholarship has the following eligibility criteria that applicants must meet:
- Canadian citizens enrolled in a doctoral program at a Canadian or international university OR permanent residents or foreign nationals enrolled in a Canadian doctoral program
- Registered in the first or second year of a full-time doctoral program and expected to complete studies in 2026 or later
- Field of study related to humanities or human sciences relevant to Canada’s future
- Doctoral research addresses at least one of the foundation’s four themes
The application process for the Trudeau Foundation scholarship involves the following key steps:
- Review eligibility – Visit the foundation’s website to review detailed eligibility criteria and selection process.
- Create account – Register for an account on the online application portal.
- Prepare application – Work on required documents including transcripts, CV, research proposal, references etc.
- Submit by deadline – Applications are due by December 2nd each year by 5 pm EST.
- Institutional nomination – Applicants are nominated by their academic department, with a maximum of 4 nominees per university.
- Selection process – The foundation reviews applications and interviews semi-finalists and finalists.
The required documents, deadlines and process may vary by university. Applicants should thoroughly review the instructions on the foundation’s website.
The selection process is highly competitive with only 15 scholarships awarded each year.
Applications are evaluated based on:
- Academic excellence – Based on past academic achievement and potential for impactful future research.
- Leadership potential – Ability to turn ideas into action and bring about positive change.
- Commitment to themes – Passionate engagement with one or more of the foundation’s four themes.
- Communication skills – Ability to communicate complex ideas simply and engage audiences.
- Critical thinking – Capacity for critical analysis, creativity and independent thought.
What the Scholarship Provides
The Pierre Elliott Trudeau scholarship is very comprehensive in terms of financial and professional support:
|$120,000 in funding||$40,000 annual stipend for living and academic expenses over 3 years|
|Professional development||Exclusive leadership training, mentors, language training and professional network|
|Prestige and opportunities||Open doors for research, networking, future jobs|
Scholars gain access to an unparalleled personal and professional network to help guide their career and research.
The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship Doctoral represents an exceptionally prestigious and generous funding opportunity for top-tier Canadian and international Ph.D. candidates. The financial stipend, mentorship, leadership training and professional network provide immense value to recipients as they establish themselves as promising young researchers and leaders.
Students with a passion for the foundation’s four themes and potential for impact should strongly consider applying for this transformative opportunity to fund and accelerate their doctoral research. By supporting brilliant minds and ideas, the scholarship aims to cultivate leading thinkers and change-makers who can tackle humanity’s greatest challenges.
Table: Key Facts about the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship Doctoral
|Eligibility||Canadian citizens/permanent residents enrolled in 1st or 2nd year of Canadian or foreign Ph.D. program|
|Annual Value||Up to $40,000 stipend|
|Total Value||Up to $120,000|
|Deadline||December 2nd, 5pm EST|
|Key Dates||Applications reviewed from Jan-March, Recipients notified in April|
|Selection Criteria||Academic excellence, leadership potential, commitment to themes, communication and critical thinking skills|
|Professional Development||Leadership training, mentors, language training, access to scholar/fellow network|
|Themes||Human rights and dignity, responsible citizenship, Canada’s role in the world, people and natural environment|
- Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation. “Trudeau Scholarships.” Accessed October 25, 2023. https://www.trudeaufoundation.ca/trudeau-scholarships
- University of Toronto. “Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship Doctoral.” Accessed October 25, 2023. https://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/awards/pierre-elliott-trudeau-foundation-doctoral-scholarship/
- McGill University. “Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship Doctorals.” Accessed October 25, 2023. https://www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/funding/students/trudeau
- Queen’s University. “Pierre Elliott Trudeau Doctoral Scholarship.” Accessed October 25, 2023. https://www.queensu.ca/sgs/graduate-awards/external-awards/pierre-elliott-trudeau-doctoral-scholarship
- University of British Columbia. “Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship Doctorals.” Accessed October 25, 2023. https://www.grad.ubc.ca/scholarships-awards-funding/pierre-elliott-trudeau-foundation-doctoral-scholarships
- Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation. “2023 Doctoral Scholarships Application Guide.” Accessed October 25, 2023. https://www.trudeaufoundation.ca/sites/default/files/petf_2023_doctoral_application_guide.pdf