The University of Waterloo scholarship, located in Waterloo, Ontario, is one of Canada’s top research universities. Offering a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs in engineering, science, mathematics, arts, and more, Waterloo attracts top students from across Canada and internationally.
Recent Released: How Students Can Access MySCAD with a Direct Secure Portal
To support academic excellence and help students fund their education, Waterloo provides various scholarships for both domestic and international students. These awards recognize outstanding academic achievement, leadership, extracurricular involvement, and financial need.
Attending university can be a significant financial investment for students and families. Fortunately, Waterloo offers a robust scholarship program to make education more accessible. Scholarships help reduce the cost of tuition, fees, books, accommodation, and other expenses.
This article will provide an overview of Waterloo’s main entrance and in-course scholarships for undergraduate students. It also covers some of the major awards available at the graduate level.
Understanding the value, eligibility criteria, and application process for these awards can help prospective and current Waterloo students maximize their opportunities for scholarship support. Planning ahead and maintaining a competitive academic standing are key to qualifying for the university’s top scholarships.
Waterloo offers scholarships specifically for incoming first-year students, as well as in-course awards that current students can apply for each year.
Entrance scholarships reward academic excellence and student achievements. They help attract top students to Waterloo programs.
The main entrance scholarships include:
The President’s Scholarship is Waterloo’s most prestigious entrance award, valued at $10,000. Awarded to the top students admitted to first-year undergraduate programs, this scholarship recognizes outstanding academic achievement.
- Available to students beginning first-year studies at Waterloo
- Awarded based on grades/admission average
- Top students receive awards of $10,000
- Other recipients receive awards of $2,000-$8,000
Merit Scholarships, valued at $1,000 each, also reward the academic achievements of incoming students. They help make Waterloo more accessible to strong students.
- Awarded to first-year undergraduate students
- Based on grades/admission average of 85-89.9%
Entrance Scholarships for International Students
To help recruit top international students, Waterloo provides dedicated Entrance Scholarships for International Students.
- For undergraduate international students entering first year
- 20 scholarships available, valued at $10,000 each
- Based on academic achievement/grades
- Admission average of 90%+ required
By maintaining a full course load and minimum grades, recipients can renew some entrance scholarships for second year. This provides incentive for students to excel in their studies.
In addition to entrance awards, current Waterloo students can apply for in-course scholarships each year they are registered. These are based on grades achieved at Waterloo.
Dean’s Honours List Scholarships
Available to undergraduate students who achieve at least an 80% average during a study term. Values range from $1,000 to $2,000.
Awarded to students who achieve an 85%+ average during a study term. Valued between $2,000 – $2,500.
Various faculty and donor-funded scholarships
Many departments offer subject-specific scholarships, while donors provide funded awards for students in particular programs and majors. Values vary.
Eligibility for in-course scholarships is based on students maintaining full-time status and a competitive program average at Waterloo. By consistently excelling in their studies, students can qualify for scholarships each year.
Waterloo also provides substantial scholarship support at the graduate level, encouraging excellence for master’s and PhD students.
University-Wide Graduate Scholarships
All eligible graduate students are considered for these scholarships automatically; no application is required.
University of Waterloo Graduate Scholarship
Value: $1,000 per term for up to 3 terms
- Minimum 80% cumulative average
- Registered full-time in a Waterloo master’s or PhD program
This scholarship helps fund students within their program time limits.
External Graduate Scholarships
Students must apply to be considered for these competitive provincial and national graduate scholarships.
Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS)
Value: up to $15,000 per year
- Awarded to master’s and PhD students in all disciplines
- Based on academic merit
- Small number open to international students
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
Value: $50,000 per year for up to 3 years
- Open to Canadian and international master’s and PhD students
- Recognizes academic excellence, leadership, and research potential
- Highly competitive national scholarship
These external awards provide substantial funding to help graduate students focus on their studies and research.
The University of Waterloo offers a wide range of scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students. These awards recognize academic achievement, leadership capabilities, extracurricular involvement, and financial need.
Waterloo’s scholarship program aims to attract top students and make education more attainable. Understanding the eligibility criteria and application process lets students maximize their opportunities. Competing for scholarships rewards academic success and encourages students to excel.
Planning ahead and maintaining excellence from the first year onwards allows students to qualify for Waterloo’s most prestigious awards, both upon entrance and through in-course applications. The financial support provided by these scholarships can make a significant difference in helping students achieve their academic goals.
- University of Waterloo. “Undergraduate entrance scholarships.” Accessed October 26, 2023. https://uwaterloo.ca/future-students/financing/scholarships?utm_source=einfo&utm_medium=clicks&utm_campaign=einfolinks
- University of Waterloo. “Entrance scholarships for international students.” Accessed October 26, 2023. https://uwaterloo.ca/future-students/financing/entrance-scholarships-international-students
- University of Waterloo. “Internal awards.” Accessed October 26, 2023. https://uwaterloo.ca/graduate-studies-postdoctoral-affairs/awards/internal-awards
- Government of Ontario. “Ontario Graduate Scholarship.” Accessed October 26, 2023. https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-graduate-scholarship
- Government of Canada. “Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program.” Accessed October 26, 2023. https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/programs-programmes/vanier_scholarships-bourses_vanier-eng.aspx